Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Contributors to this blog

Certain Nonimmigrants Can Now File Form I-539 Online

May 22, 2019

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services 

You may file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, online if you are applying as a single applicant (without co-applicants, or legal or accredited representation) to extend your stay and you hold status as a:

  • B-1 temporary visitor for business;
  • B-2 temporary visitor for pleasure;
  • F-1 academic student with a specific status expiration date;
  • F-2 spouse or child of an academic student with a specific expiration date;
  • M-1 vocational student; or
  • M-2 spouse or child of an M-1 student.

Filing online lets you:

  • Get your application into our processing queue faster than mail delivery; and
  • Communicate with us directly, without sending paper mail.

F-2 and M-2 Nonimmigrants

If you are in the U.S. with F-2 or M-2 nonimmigrant status and want to extend your stay, compare the expiration date of your status with your spouse or parent’s F-1 or M-1 status. If the expiration dates on both are:

You can confirm your online filing eligibility at uscis.gov/i539online. 

Filing online helps you:

  • Apply using a computer, phone, or tablet;
  • Complete all relevant parts of your application;
  • See when we receive your application; and
  • Receive online updates on your case.


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...